Monday, June 7, 2010

Rain, Wind, and Grease





















I've got a pretty sweet task ahead of me for the next month; there are hundreds of wind turbines along the Columbia River gorge, and I get to rappel off of a few dozen of them.  The not-so-fun part is all the grease I have to scrape off.

Up until now it has been raining a lot, but I think the storm has finally broke.  The last two days have been warm and sunny.

The view from the top of the turbines is great. Mount Hood climbs above the horizon, and the Columbia cuts deep into the valley below.  Last week, there were low clouds that passed over us while we worked, sometimes so thick that I couldn't see the ground.




During some down-time this weekend, we set up a slackline over the river, attached to one of the steel industrial structures along the shore.  It started raining, and the water was freezing cold, but we were having so much fun we couldn't stop.  When I finally returned to the hotel, I was shivering and my knees were blue.








At the hotel, we didn't really like the wall art; paintings of fat cherubs and American nostalgia, so we decided to make our own art and put it into the frames.

Now that feels more like home.


1 comment:

Jean said...

You have a good life, Eric.