Thursday, May 31, 2007

Picnics and Trains

I was going to mention in my last blog entry that when I arrived in Cairns, I left my hat in the van that I got a ride from. This is typical because I always loose my hat when I begin an adventure. But I didn't write about this because it seemed like a boring fact. Well the next day, I ran into Antony and Linette (the people who gave me a ride from the airport) on the boardwalk by the docks. I told them that my hat is in thier van, but alas, they were only borrowing the van from their friend. So I'd never see my hat again.
That afternoon, the poeple from my hostle decided that they were going to have a picnic at a nearby lake. We all pooled our money together and bought some food to grill on the "Barbi", and then loaded up in the available vehicles. Well, I must be in the groove, because as we got to the parking lot, the very vehicle I was going to ride in was the very same van that contained my hat! This is espically crazy when you consider that there are at least 30 hostles in Cairns.

The picnic at the lake was incredible! There were about 15 people from mostly France, Germany, and New Zealand. We cooked good food, and swam in the warm water. A few people from our group got eaten by crocodiles. I tossed the frisbee around while some other folks made music from thier various guitars and drums.

The people at the hostle seemed like a great crowd, but the city of Cairns is very touristy and "theme parkesque" as my guide book discribes. Also, someone at the hostle stole my shirt off the clothesline, so I didn't want to stay there any longer. So that afternoon I started to head south. I walked about a mile to get out of the busy part of the city and onto the highway, but by that time it was getting pretty dark. Not too dark of course because there was a full moon, and lots of street lights too. Well I walked another mile on the highway and nobody was interested in sharing gas expenses, so I started thinking about alternatives. This is when I heard the most pleasent sound of all for someone in my shoes... a train whistle! It had a slight Australian accent though. I found my way to the train yard and hopped on a waiting train as soon as I could convince myself that the nearby workers weren't looking. About half an hour later the train started chugging south! It was a wonderfully warm night with a full moon overhead. The warm moist air, fig trees and nearby sea made everything smell fantastic. I rode for 100 miles, but then as the train came to a stop at an old abandoned train station I was spotted! "You'll get off here right?" The man in an orange vest asked me. He was a train driver getting ready to take the next shift. He was quite freindly and told me the "We won't report riders, if they're being safe" He also told me that another train will come by at noon the next day, and told me where I could sleep and stay dry and secluded. Since the train station is no longer used, I spent the night by where the ticket office used to be. In the morning I picked a coconut for breakfast, and then met up with the Australian beach for the first time! (there are no beaches in Cairns.)

Well I ran around all day trying to convert my battery charger to an Australian plug, so I could charge up my camera batteries, but now this coin-op computer is crapping out, so I can't upload pictures. guess you'll have to wait.

Eric out.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey sunshine! Sorry your working on a coin-operated piece of crap! :) Sorry you lost your hat, but found it again right? Sorry someone stole your shirt...but you always smell nice--i'd steal your shirt he he...Glad to hear from you, you can always say that people in Australia take the shirt right off your back! :) Sounds like you are making your way quite steadily. Can't wait to see pictures. Happy thoughts be safe!