Wednesday, August 1, 2007

rocket man.

note: thespacebar on thiscomputer sometimesdoesn´twork.thanks for toleratingmyadjoined words.

I don´t have much of a tale to tell this round because I haven´t done much adventuring in the last few days. Thais flys into Belize on the morning of the 3rd, so I havetobe there by then to meet her at theairport. therefore, I´ve justbeenrocketing throughHonduras as quickly as possible(on a 1975 bluebird school bus).
I did see some noteworthy things on my tour thatare worth reporting. In the town of Tegucigalpa there was a line of 60 people in the sidewalk. They were all standing in a perfect orderly line and not talking much. I looked tosee what was at the front of the line, and there was nothing at all! Across the street, 40 more people were lined up the same way, just waiting in line. I had to know what was up, so I sat and watched (and counted the number of people) for a while. Eventually I got my answer. There is a shortage of taxis in Tegucigalpa. Every few minutes a new taxi would show up and pick up a few more people from the front of the line.
I traveled north to teh caribbean coast tothe town of Puerto Something. There is a boat that leaves from here to Belize City. When I arrived I learned the critical detail that the boat only leaves on Tuesdays. So I ventured off the Peurto Somethingelse in Guatamala. Fromhere there are several boats per day,but south of Belize City, I´ll still have to takesome busses.
Crossing the boarders in these countries is always intersting. first of all some guy with a handgun and astack of money 7 inches thick comes to you and offers to exchange your money. At first I didn´t trust these guys, but it turns outh they are ligitimate. It´s impossible to tellwho is an official and whois just some haggler. Then there are always half a dozen places to show your passport, spread out over the next 5 km. some of them want money, most don´t. Some of teh officials that do want money are taking it illegally, but it´s only a few dollars, and not worth arguing in Spanish witha guy withan automatic weapon.
After crossing theborder, there was a van to take peopleinto town. There were 11 seats in the van, room enough for 21 people and a dead chicken. The doors can´t close with so many people inside, so a few were hanging out. Nobody butme seemed to think this was funny. Occasionally the van would stop and an official would call out the three "gringo´s" to do something else with our passports.
There is a lot to see in Guatamala, so I think I´ll convince Thais to come back here during the next two weeks. I think they might put cocane in the water here. I smile all day at nothing, locked in an unexplainable happiness.

No comments: